DavidMetcalfe's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Different location name showing in Google Maps mobile app than desktop version

I'm noticing the name shown in the Google Maps mobile app is not in English for a given location, but when I was adding information/images, it was in English, is still in English when I search for it and shows in English as expected in the desktop version of Google Maps. So only the mobile app is showing a different language.

I couldn't think of where else to show this issue except here. Hopefully, it's the right place.

Google Maps.pngScreenshot_20180714-123124.png

3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Different location name showing in Google Maps mobile app than desktop version

Hi @DavidMetcalfe the language is (should be!) based on your local language settings on your computer/device. Is the setting the same on all of your devices?

Regards Paul

Level 8

Re: Different location name showing in Google Maps mobile app than desktop version

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

Language settings on all devices are set properly (US English / Canadian English). This also doesn't make sense because if it were set otherwise, we'd expect the result to resolve to the same non-English version when I tapped on the name and it brought me to the location (Abraham Lake), but it shows it in English instead.

This issue is restricted entirely to the Contributions > Photos area of Google Maps on Android.

Connect Moderator

That certainly is a bit weird @DavidMetcalfe