Aloknath's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Detailed Maps for HUGE Buildings / Campus

hi @JeslynL  @TraciC 

One more New Feature that can be implemented in Google Maps to give better experience : 

Problem :

•  Have you ever got lost in search of a particular place or a spot  in a huge CAMPUS / MARKET PLACE / Buildings ?
  •  Got  Confused by the person at help desk and don't know what to do ?
  •  Finding difficult by Looking for a  particular department in a huge college / school campus ?

Solution :

Implement  a new feature /option in Google Maps that makes it easy for finding that particular spot/place a person is looking for inside a huge Campus / Buildings and show them the walking directions to reach that spot .

Uses :

•  Reduce in crimes , as you don't have ask strangers for help / can avoid getting cheated .       -->  This will be very helpful in developing countries like INDIA , Where there are HUGE  open / underground Market places for shopping at a very low price .
  •  Very helpful for old people who can not look / follow the instructions given by others .
  •  For people who can not understand the local language .
  •  All the sign boards in any place will be in the local languages / English mostly , for those who can not understand these languages it will be helpful .

Hope you find this feature helpful , I want at least one of my ideas to be used by Google that can help everyone .

Thank you

LGSummit17   MyContributions

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Detailed Maps for HUGE Buildings / Campus

Hi @Aloknath,

We do have (and allow users to add) Points of Interest of Universities Faculties on Google Maps.

For example, if you visit Harvard's campus you will be able to get walking directions between buildings. This also happens in many other universities arounds the world like São Paulo or Cape Town, in big buildings where Google Maps has indoor maps like Tokyo's Haneda Airport and parks like Sidney's Royal Botanical Park.

If you know a big campus/park where doesn't have any the buildings per faculty, feel free to add them to Google Map. 😃

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Googler

Hi @Aloknath. We're happy to pass this information along to the appropriate team but would you kindly share more information? I'm unable to say I've had the same experience here in the United States or on my recent travels to the Caribbean or London to similar places (like Disney World or a college campus). I'd like to understand better so I can communicate properly internally: are you looking for more places of interest that are across larger spaces (like colleges or theme parks or similar places) to be better mapped so proper directions can be provided? If so, I understand and wish that were the case, too, though I know some places are harder to map than others. Is that right, @GusMoreira

Also, as I shared on another post, we encourage you to also share your request directly in the app or on desktop, too because the more, the merrier. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

@TraciC

Like you have mentioned " are you looking for more places of interest that are across larger spaces (like colleges or theme parks or similar places) to be better mapped so proper directions can be provided "  This is what i meant .  Google maps shows direction from one place to another  place , I want it to show directions even inside a particular  huge place /  campus  for better and easier experience .

Example : Inside a huge college Campus , visitors should get directions for a particular department or a library or a canteen . 

I have mentioned the main necessity of this feature in the "uses" section of this post .  Hope now you understood me 🙂

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @Aloknath,

We do have (and allow users to add) Points of Interest of Universities Faculties on Google Maps.

For example, if you visit Harvard's campus you will be able to get walking directions between buildings. This also happens in many other universities arounds the world like São Paulo or Cape Town, in big buildings where Google Maps has indoor maps like Tokyo's Haneda Airport and parks like Sidney's Royal Botanical Park.

If you know a big campus/park where doesn't have any the buildings per faculty, feel free to add them to Google Map. 😃

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 9

hi @GusMoreira

Thank you for the information , Was not aware about this .

Level 3

Following on from this, can a place have a secondary link, in addition to the official website, that takes you to a to a campus map? I understand this can be added under the photos of a place but this can get lost in the many photos.

So for Harvard University, the website link is: harvard.edu. A secondary link can be added to their campus map eg http://map.harvard.edu

Level 5

i am still having issues adding sidewalks to the campus that i work on, and with google mapmaker no longer being supported, i'm unsure of how to get them on there as my 'suggestions' go unanswered. We have most of the campus done, but need to be able to finish it up as we would like to add walking direction functionality to our new wayfinding signage using qr codes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4700+College+Oak+Drive,+Sacramento,+CA+95841/@38.650395,-121.34775...