PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Create a Maps based interface for Meetups with a sliding timeline

We've got the great Meetup engine for Local Guides https://maps.google.com/localguides/event/meet-up but it's nearly impossible to find anything unless you happen to get the locality right on the money as the search is way too exact.

What I would love to see @TraciC would be all Meetups on a Map with a sliding time scale. The use case is As a Local Guide I want to find Meetups near me in a time frame that interests me. Given that every meetup has a location (geocode) as a mandatory data attribute how cool would it be to see a Map, zoom into the area of interest with a timeline starting at "now" with a slider that lets me move along the time scale to see what appears near me. The slider would be fuzzy in that it would show meetups of the slider date plus seven days.The user could choose the central location and the extent of the viewing area (within reasonable limits) and could zoom in and out.

Each meetup would be represented by an Icon which showed the meetup type/purpose and would extend the existing Food Crawl, Photowalk, Geo walk, Map Editing, to include Social and Education. You might even have sub categories for Food Crawl (e.g. Burger Crawl, Ice-Cream Crawl). Each icon would also display the Meetup Title (not shown in the example below) and the Icon would show the purpose. Thee meetups need to really stand out from the busy map.

This would allow anyone to easily find Local Guides Meetups near them. Allowing future dates allows anyone to plan for holiday/vacation trips to take advantage of any Meetups that might be on when they are at the location(s).

Meetup.JPG

1 comment

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: Create a Maps based interface for Meetups with a sliding timeline

Thanks for sharing this feedback, @PaulPavlinovich. Tagging in @HelloJess as she handles all things meet-ups and I know she'd like to see this. I agree that a maps-based interface would be a great way to see meet-ups. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Googler
Solution

Re: Create a Maps based interface for Meetups with a sliding timeline

Thanks for sharing this feedback, @PaulPavlinovich. Tagging in @HelloJess as she handles all things meet-ups and I know she'd like to see this. I agree that a maps-based interface would be a great way to see meet-ups. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.