StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Copying mention/tagging of names and notifications in LG Connect

Apparently many may know this already, I only found this out today. If I wrote a post in Connect and type in manually a mention of a person, the person will get notified of the mention.

But if I copied a list of mentions from another post and pasted into my post, the people mentioned won't get a notification. Even though the link to the person is actually active and I can click through to his/her profile.

I guess I understand that this is how Connect works at the moment. Was wondering if this is something that can be improved on, because it's a little tedious finding and typing names to mention. What could be useful is to have the same notification for posts for mentions, even if I pasted the list of names from another source.

@ErmesT@YK1001

2 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Copying mention/tagging of names and notifications in LG Connect

@StephenAbraham the way this board functions is typical across most similar forums. The idea is if you quote someone else, you may not specifically be mentioning the people the other person posted to, so it will not notify them (otherwise, on some threads that get particularly active, some people could see a flood of notifications to reply messages that are of no interest to them).

The difference here is that when replying to the previous poster, the original message is not quoted automatically, as is the case in other forums.

Being that Local Guides Connect is running on a commercial forums platform called Lithium, I doubt it is something that could be changed easily.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

@StephenAbraham the way this board functions is typical across most similar forums. The idea is if you quote someone else, you may not specifically be mentioning the people the other person posted to, so it will not notify them (otherwise, on some threads that get particularly active, some people could see a flood of notifications to reply messages that are of no interest to them).

The difference here is that when replying to the previous poster, the original message is not quoted automatically, as is the case in other forums.

Being that Local Guides Connect is running on a commercial forums platform called Lithium, I doubt it is something that could be changed easily.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Connect Moderator

Hi @StephenAbraham

Thanks for tagging us. @YK1001

Wrote a procedure, months ago, for tagging people that, like in this case, are not already on the thread. 

When you type @, you start a software procedure (that is more than putting a link) then, when you start typing the user name, the software start to read in the database, to find and suggest the person that you want to mention.

In this way you associate the mentioned person to the specific post/reply. 

For this reason you cannot copy/past it from another post. 

Probably it would be nice to have a button to click, if we want to mention somebody. 

Ermes