SerhiyG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Can't add hours to place

I have a very similar issue.  I am trying to add the office hours for an apartment complex.  I notice that other apartments classified with the SAME category have hours listed, but I am not able to add them for this one.

Very helpful for those needing to visit the front offices of these places.

I'll submit via the feedback option but still wanted to get this out there.

Level 8

OK, I think I found the problem with my certain issue. There are MULTIPLE categories for apartment buildings.  Some of the ones I have found are:

Apartment Complex

Apartment Building

Apartment Rental Agency

All of them have the actual apartments located within them but in order to add hours, it appears they have to be classified as an Apartment Rental Agency.

Kinda lame......

Level 9
Level 9

@brent wrote:

it appears they have to be classified as an Apartment Rental Agency.

Kinda lame......

Hi Brent, it makes sense to have hours for a rental agency as people work there providing a service and customers need to know which hours they can go there and meet staff. But why would an apartment building where people live need working hours?

Level 8

Put yourself in the place of someone using Google Maps to find something like an apartment complex.  If I lived there, I probably wouldn't be Googling it but if I were interested in leasing, I might want to stop by the front office for a visit.

And even if I did live there, I might want to check and see if the office were open before I walked up there to pick up a package.

No disrespect, but why else would someone want to look up the apartments on Google Maps?  Maybe to find a friend I guess.  But even if that were the case, why would it matter if the business hours were listed?

I am all ears if you can suggest a reason to not list the business hours. What could it possibly hurt to have them listed?

Level 8

Again, no disrespect meant, but pick an apartment complex near you and use Google Maps to locate it and find out when they are open. You should not be expected to locate the right category in order to find out their business hours.  Depending on how Google categorizes them, you may or may not see their business hours. Kinda quirky if you ask me.

Level 9
Level 9

@brent wrote:

I were interested in leasing, I might want to stop by the front office for a visit.

With this example I think you've answered the question yourself. You'd be visiting a business and like any business working hours would be helpful. 

Not every apartment block has an onsite leasing office, many are purely residential, people live there 24/7 and working hours are meaningless.

There are a few reasons to look up the street location of a residential apartment block. Visit a friend as you suggested, a delivery company checking where your pizza should go, a taxi firm coming to pick you up?

Btw there was no disrespect given or taken by me, all questions are good

Level 8

@Hulk: "Apartment Building" should only be used as graphics - this category is available via MapMaker only. there are more features that were ceased from adding hours - this topic will be discussed further. "Apartment Rental Agency" may not be used for this purpose; it's a normal business category.

Level 8

Thanks for the replies so far everyone - y'all have been GREAT! 

I understand the technical reasons that I am not able to add hours to an apartment classified as an "Apartment Complex" but I just don't understand WHY these limitations are in place.  I see your point Phillip that some complexes may not have a front office.  But if they don't have an office, then why would someone enter hours for it?  Is this safety check in place to prevent someone from doing that and confusing people?

I'm just not sure I understand the logical reason for not being able to do this.  I really don't.

Not trying to beat a dead horse or be difficult.  It's just that (as someone else said) I LOVE Uncle Google and just want to make it BETTER!!!!  (seriously - and my girlfriend is jealous of this)

@TomášJ wrote:

@Hulk: "Apartment Building" should only be used as graphics - this category is available via MapMaker only. there are more features that were ceased from adding hours - this topic will be discussed further. "Apartment Rental Agency" may not be used for this purpose; it's a normal business category.

Level 2
Level 2

I agree that the option to add hours of operation should be available for Apartment Building or Apartment Complex.  Some have hours, some don't. Residents and potential renters might not be the only people looking for proper visiting hours.  Contractors and such will also be interested.

If some have hours, in either category, the option should be available to note that.

Level 8

Thanks for the reply.  I actually used one of the Google Maps competitors the other day to find the business hours of my own apartment complex front office because I had a package waiting for me.

I was running late and wanted to find out what time they closed.  I KNEW that I couldn't find this info on Google Maps, so I used a competitor to find the answer.

Google Maps definitely has its benefits, but it's not quite all there yet.  I am constantly finding myself toggling back and forth between two apps to find what I need.

Keep on keeping on Google!!!