Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Breaking Down Edits

It is a given and accepted concept that the reviewing algorithm will tend to send a complex edit to the moderation queue if you have made multiple suggestions (e.g. to a name, category, phone number, etc.) in one single edit. More often than not, even though all the edits might be specifically correct, the system or intervener fails to breakdown and analyse all the suggested information together and will usually end up not applied. It doesn't matter if you've made multiple edits, if three parts out of your four-part edit are approvable but one of them cannot be verified for any reason, those three parts that were accepted will not go through.

In particular, tonight I came across a very strange situation.

Chronology of edits of Heber Park.Chronology of edits of Heber Park.

Updating the address and council websites of the local parks nearby, I've been getting successful edits all around. This one however reached a Pending status instead, as this was one of the first where I made two changes in one edit. Strange as it was as I was easily able to update addresses and websites of different parks, I then submitted individual edits of both the address and website, and both of them were immediately approved.

It's rather strange to say the least, but since the algorithm became slightly agitated as there were more than one thing to verify and check, there is now a pending edit of two things that have already been updated in single edits.

@YK1001 previously wrote in a feature request that complex edits should be able to be broken down to atomic, individual edits rather than all aspects being rejected outright, and that is something that I agree with completely. What might this look like in a contributions page? Something a bit like this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 14.08.48.png

So my questions (as always) are:

• Is there a way that the system can look at a wide array of factors, individually analyse each of them and then make judgements depending on the information provided? It just seems that by suggesting multiple changes, the system becomes a little bit suspicious.
  • It is possible that by changing multiple things in one edit, there is only one set of points. Although I do not abuse this for the sake of points (I'm Level 10 anyway), lately I've been doing multiple individual edits to a place to have all individual information approved and accepted, and getting multiples of 5 points instead. Is this practice acceptable/condoned?
  • Is there a way to request a suggested edit to be withdrawn? Sometimes in the spur of the moment we make mistakes, and would like to either revert an automatically accepted change (rather than just putting it back or removing the added information) or realise that a pending edit is incorrect and should not be accepted by the reviewers.

That's it for now. Hope you're reading.

Heber Park, Jersey Road, Hebersham, New South Wales, Australia
3 comments
Level 9

Re: Breaking Down Edits

Thanks for the important update @Briggs, It is very educative especially when it comes to editing an already existing place in Maps.

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 10

Thank you @JonasKL. It's not an update actually, but rather a feature request that I've been thinking of for a while; I'm sure Sampson has also thought of it quite a lot too. I'm sure you would be able to appreciate some of the information here.

Keep up the good work!

Level 9

You are welcome too @Briggs I believe through our constant user experience feedback. Maps will be the best place ever.

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.