ajdyyz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Badges for reviewing specific categories of places

I thought of a cool idea. Not sure if this has been brought up before (sorry if it has been). My idea is for Local Guides to introduce specialized badges for Local Guides members who reach a specific number reviews under a specific type category.

As an example, if I review over 100 restaurants. I would get the 'Restaurateur Badge' and the corresponding badge would show in my profile as well as beside all of my restaurant reviews. The badge could look like a fork or a plate of food or something else related to restaurants. In order to prove that you have been at the restaurant, there might also be additional criteria, like each of the reviews to get to 100 must have a picture as well.

Another example: If I were to review over 10 wineries, or 10 breweries I would get the 'Sommelier Badge' or the 'Brewmaster Badge'. These could look like a glass of wine, a bottle of wine, a beer bottle, or a keg. The preexisting icons that are used in 'My Maps' could be used as the badges, or unique ones could be created. Only one badge corresponding to the reviewed locations category would show at a time, as Local Guides' reviews would start to fill up with badges and look messy.

You could create badges for many other categories such as Fitness Centre (Gym Rat Badge), Museum/Art Galleries (Artsy Fartsy Badge), Movie Theatre (Movie Buff Badge) etc.

In the end, this could be a great way to add another layer of authenticity to reviews and give people another reason to review and post pictures! Personally, I think it would be fun to start collecting all of these badges.

Thoughts?

13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Badges for reviewing specific categories of places

That's a cool idea @ajdyyz.. I actually suggested this method long time ago. I think it would be much more rewarding compared to adding more levels. It's like playing a game!

Btw, I'll be moving this to the Feedback & Features Request board so it can be properly tracked. In the future, if you have more suggestions, it would be much better to post it there 🙂

Level 9

Wooow! this is cool, I wish they adopt it, I will definately be a master of reviews especially shopping outlets, its awesome @ajdyyz

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 5

Thanks for letting me know! First time poster!

Level 10

I am not a great reviewer myself (less than 10% of my LG points come from reviews) but I can appreciate the usefulness of this possible feature for those who make many (and great) reviews.

Level 10

@ajdyyz Nice idea and this will encourage people to contribute more.

Level 10

Loved this idea @ajdyyz.

Nice concept. 🙂

Level 8

That would be cool, but I think that would be alot to handle for the Google team to keep track of and plus since we're all over the world, 1st world to 3rd world, not everyone would have the accessibility to achieve some of those badges, making it unfair. 

@ajdyyz don't get me wrong, I love the idea, who doesn't love more badges lol but if we're leveling out the playing field, there will be many who will not be able to participate.

Level 10

@ajdyyz How similar do you picture this being to TripAdvisor? They already do something really similar to what you're suggesting.

Level 9

I really Like the idea @ajdyyz !

Thanks for sharing it, and I hope the team interacts with yours 🙂

I had some similar thoughts, and I love to contribute more on news ideas, here's my latest if you are interested to reply.