bacardi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Are there any rewards for google local guides?

I was wondering if there were any rewards for google local guides,  I found a post that listed rewards (wich is seemingly outdated) and that what has gotten me into using Local guides.  Writing reviews and rating places where I have been. 

But i just figured out I haven't gotten any perks that were listed at all, I was a bit disappointed by this and was wondering if there are any rewards at this point OR if there will be new rewards coming in. as it's a nice incentive to rate and review shops and places.
Hope there is anything we can gain / get something in return for what we provide.  

Sorry if this comes across as rude or impolite.

With kind of regards,

Alexander.

17 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Are there any rewards for google local guides?

Hi @bacardi you ask why be a Local Guide?

There are quite a lot of different reasons for all of us that part of this community. Most of us just like to help out other people, of course there are perks from time to time and if a significant contributor you may be invited to the Local Guides Connect Live Event in San Francisco expenses paid. However, that said, the main benefit is membership of a community. Everyday that we use Maps, decide where to go based on reviews or simply find our way it is because of the contributions of other Local Guides. We contribute to pay those other people back for their efforts which in turn helps others. This enormous crowd sourcing program helps Google Maps be a better product but it also helps the people like you and I who use Maps every day. I personally also see it as a way for returning the favour of free usage of various Google products. Finally, it allows you to make some mark on the world and be recognised for your contributions.

When the program was smaller there were different perks to those that have been available lately. The growth of Local Guides has been meteoric going from a few hundred in the beginning to over 50 million active LG today. As you can imagine that number of people changes how perks can be managed because a welcome token like a T Shirt that perhaps costs $20 becomes a massive cost and undertaking when multiplied out by so many people. This means the perks have moved onto things that are electronic in nature (e.g. Google Play streaming Music was recently available) and are done with partners who offer things for LG's such as travel discounts which have also recently been offered.

Make sure that in your Local Guides notifications that you have emails turned on visit https://maps.google.com/localguides/home/settings and tick the "Perks box"

perks.PNG

Regards Paul

Level 10

Hi @PaulPavlinovich,

Can you please explain what you mean with "partners who offer things for LG's such as travel discounts which have also recently been offered." for me?

I am member for LG community from beginning and I never saw this reward.

Thank you.

Connect Moderator

Those offers have been dependent on where you live. In India there were bus trip and hotel discounts. In Indonesia there have been hotel rewards. If you've been in from the beginning wouldn't you have enjoyed the old Drive reward? The New York Times free three months @Rohlik?

Regards Paul

Level 10

@PaulPavlinovich Hotel discounts sounds great, but India is a bit far away. But it is nice to hear, that was also local rewards.

Connect Moderator

@bacardi

Yep. 

Respect, appreciation, lots of virtual hugs, feeling of accomplishments, addiction to this wonderful community and sheer will to do more 🙂

Level 5

Dear Paul,

I just recently joined but i saw that there were rewards connected with it aswell, sadly it seems that i was for the previous years.

Thank you for your reply I cant find anything for the rewards in my region wich is The Netherlands / EU.

With kind of regards.

Level 5

Dear Paul, 

Just saw that you posted multiple times, I have responded to them individually.

Would have understood if many people joined it and post on it (Wich i can read from your message is in fact the case.)  Sadly I don't see many reviews even more so the city that i live in with 130k people almost every company in the city street hasn't got a review there are a few with 1 or 2 reviews on it though, That's why I started out ,also because I saw that it had a perk system wich i found out *don't quote me on the exact year* from 2014 / 2015 wich eventually led to 1 TB cloud google drive storage.

So sadly almost no one does it here so there isn't really a community feeling in my city and no rewards to incentive me to continue doing so as there are no personal perks coming out of it. ( may call me out for this and rightfully so.) 

I thank you for your replies, and wish you a nice day.

With kind of regards,

Level 5

Dear OmerAli,

That sounds lovely ! But it sounds like something that's mostly on the forums and I won't be on forums all that often due to heavy painkillers wich makes it kinda hard to read from time to time ! 

Though I can understand the satisfaction one gets from this and helping out others, as posted before where I am from barely anyone posts reviews, or leaves feedback for companies so there is no community feeling in my local area Although I am 110% sure this is the case on forums and wish you the best with this Sir.

With kind of regards,

Connect Moderator

More rewards will come @bacardi but its not a good game if you're in it for rewards, really it's about your community and how you can improve it.