38160210003's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Are my contributions (photos) to Maps killing my drive space???

So i just checked my drive space and google photos is using 1,31 GB. 

I have it set to free unlimited storage rather than uploading original files. A while back the requirement was if the file is under 2048 px side length (longest side) it won't eat up any space either. So I uploaded some pictures and they are all 2000x1333. so way under the limit. 

The only photos which are bigger than this are the photospheres. Since they are created with a smartphone and I only have a few, I cant believe they eat up 1,31 GB. And even tho they would eat up that space, I basically support Maps and kill my drive space in the same time. Thats not a very good deal 😞

7 comments
Level 10

Re: Are my contributions (photos) to Maps killing my drive space???

@38160210003 wrote:

So i just checked my drive space and google photos is using 1,31 GB. 

I have it set to free unlimited storage rather than uploading original files. A while back the requirement was if the file is under 2048 px side length (longest side) it won't eat up any space either. So I uploaded some pictures and they are all 2000x1333. so way under the limit. 

The only photos which are bigger than this are the photospheres. Since they are created with a smartphone and I only have a few, I cant believe they eat up 1,31 GB. And even tho they would eat up that space, I basically support Maps and kill my drive space in the same time. Thats not a very good deal 😞

You can determine the space your photos might used by finding the information via Google Drive -> Google Photos folder and select each image. Below is one of my 360 photos that got approved by Streetview Apps.. it is 7MB. I used the "High Quality" setting.

Local Guides is a voluntary program.. not sure it can ever be a "good deal"

.Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 12.02.38 AM.png

Level 9

I already checked and they around 2mbs and I don't have that many that it would make up 1,3 GB. I have a lot of other photos uploaded but according to the rules they should all be not counting towards the usage.

Well winner is anyway google, thats why they shouldn't take away drive space. Maybe its in the fineprint maybe not, but it should be big and fat if you sign up for local guides and upload pictures you waste your drive space.

But still, according to all of the guidelines I dont see that i really use 1,3 gb of my space. 

Level 10

Then some else is probably taking up space e.g. videos you might have taken? or RAW files? or you might have been hacked?

Also it also depends on how you had uploaded your photos e.g. if you uploaded via Google Drive they won't be converted.

Level 9

Nope, that's not it either. It's according to the drive space overview only photos which eats up the majority. I only uploaded jpg and the quality is set to high, not original. So that can't eat up any storage either supposedly because it's free according to Google. But I guess they don't even know anymore, a lot of the photos were transferred over from Picasa and the always changing services. It's probably even hard for Google to track which service it is right now 😉 

So I am almost positive Google is counting the drive usage wrong, but how do I fix that?

Level 9

start removing gmail files with attachments, these are taking up space but not shown in quota.

Level 9

@Lajos_J_Hajdu I don't think this is true. As in my overview, there is the following quote for Drive Files, Gmail, and Photos. Only photos is growing and I am only uploading photos to google maps. If they steal my drive space for doing their work for free. I am gonna delete everything. I upload a load of high-quality photos and not just snapshots which are unrelated to the venue.  I don't get paid for doing it, but if they "steal" my space for that, than its over...

Level 9

@38160210003 wrote:

@Lajos_J_Hajdu I don't think this is true. As in my overview, there is the following quote for Drive Files, Gmail, and Photos. Only photos is growing and I am only uploading photos to google maps. If they steal my drive space for doing their work for free. I am gonna delete everything. I upload a load of high-quality photos and not just snapshots which are unrelated to the venue.  I don't get paid for doing it, but if they "steal" my space for that, than its over...

@38160210003 believe me i struggled at least a month with similar attempts and hypotheses as you do. But I have the working solution.

The gmail row in the table just showing the amount of text but do not account for the attachments. This is a bug, a mistake from the quota calculation.

Believe me if you start to remove emails with attachments you will see a dramatic decrease in the used storage.

I described this failure at least five times and nobody from Google picks up the bug and fixes it. It is VERY irritating to ignore such an important factor as email attachment in quota listing. It should read two separate lines

gmail text 2 GB

gmail attachments 11 GB

Than everybody would understand an act rationally, would not erase useful files from Google Drive. But the users do not get a chance.