Vossy1995's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Alternative to Google Map Maker

Hello, I would like to work in Map Maker streets and places on Google Maps, is there an alternative for this?
If the Map Maker had worked better, it would have been used more.

Google support is sad! It's free for Google and I could develop a great program with Google.

8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Alternative to Google Map Maker

@Vossy1995 currently there is no alternative to Map Maker in regards to editing roads. When Google announced the closure in March 2017, they indicated that some of the feature functionality would eventually be incorporated into maps, but did not establish a timeline for that to happen.

Map Maker was, unfortunately full of legacy components that Google wanted to stop supporting (and in some cases no longer had the resources to support), and would have required a major rebuild from the ground up to replace. Instead of consuming resources to build another mapping product, the decision was made to merge into a single platform, which is Google Maps.

In the meantime, you can still contribute information regarding road edits via "Send Feedback" which will send your information to a specialized team at Google for review and addition to the map.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

@Vossy1995 currently there is no alternative to Map Maker in regards to editing roads. When Google announced the closure in March 2017, they indicated that some of the feature functionality would eventually be incorporated into maps, but did not establish a timeline for that to happen.

Map Maker was, unfortunately full of legacy components that Google wanted to stop supporting (and in some cases no longer had the resources to support), and would have required a major rebuild from the ground up to replace. Instead of consuming resources to build another mapping product, the decision was made to merge into a single platform, which is Google Maps.

In the meantime, you can still contribute information regarding road edits via "Send Feedback" which will send your information to a specialized team at Google for review and addition to the map.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 10

@MWJones wrote:

And while it is slow and clumsy, I can verify that it works. Here's a small road segment Google added to the map after I sent feedback via the system. 

Since the capability of displaying roads and road segments as clickable vector entities in the feedback system has already been developed, fingers crossed that new features (like drawing roads) will also follow at a time. Otherwise it would seem to be an overkill to have developed the feature.

Level 7

I hope there are still features such as "add parking" or ways to mark the entrance of buildings. You could integrate everything for different audiences.

Level 7

i hope something that allows you to draw roads and paths is added in

Level 7

fingers crossed that new features (like drawing roads) will also follow at a time.

i hope so

Also for missing pedestrian paths

Level 7

Missing features on Google Maps

DE: Leider gibt es den "Map Maker" nicht mehr. Mir fehlen Funktionen bei Google Maps: Zufahrten ergenzen, Eingänge ergenzen, Flächen von Firmen oder anderen Orten einrahmen.
Wieso gibt es solche Funktionen nicht?
Antwort bitte nach Möglichkeit auf deutsch.

Connect Moderator

Re: Missing features on Google Maps

Hi @Vossy1995

It seems that you have already received a reply in here to your question.

Sorry for not responding in your language, but I will tag @LudwigGermany to respond, and to choose if keep your post in here, or to move it in the German board

Level 3

Re: Missing features on Google Maps

What?