Anonymous
Not applicable

ALL CAPS edits and other guidelines being ignored and still being approved

This content has been removed.
Australia
1 comment
Level 10

Re: ALL CAPS edits and other guidelines being ignored and still being approved

Ahh @Anonymous, the Coles Express caper.

There used to be a time about a month ago where Coles Express had this naming convention - Coles Express [Suburb]. There were quite a lot of discussion whether it should be a convenience store or a petrol station, but you can read that in the link above. Eventually it came to a point where all Coles Express had changed their category to Convenience store, but in the process all of them were capitalised instead.

These actually aren't suggested edits by Local Guides. These are edits that are centrally run by a managed spreadsheet through the GMB (Google My Business) program. The marketing assets manager had swiftly changed all the categories with one fell swoop, and in compliance with Google's guidelines had removed the location descriptor... only to capitalise them. We can make suggestions to change them back to lower-case but in the end for the majority of situations, the GMB lister, especially if they run a company with hundreds of branches tend to have the final say, and most of the time edits just revert back to their incorrect selves anyway.

I would like to report them using the GMB forums, but that's not really my place.