Haseeb's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

A small glitch in Google Maps Profile

Hello Team !

After reading this news article Flexible privacy settings for your Google Maps profile by @kmajewski I have updated my google maps application to experience this new feature about privacy in contributions section. Upon exploring it in more depth, I have found that this profile settings 'turn on' type button now does appears on desktop version as well, which will be quite helpful for people who use maps both in mobile & desktop versions 🙂

When we select to view our profile as a public viewer (using this new option), it shows only 2 tabs. 1st is review & 2nd is photos. I understand that the 3rd tab of lists is still not available on desktop version which is also a long awaited feature along with the Q&A tab as the 4th 🙂

Anyhow, I like to report this small glitch in the system on desktop version in which the no. of views of each uploaded picture is available, when we preview our own profile in public viewing mode. But the no. views disappears when we view it in real time public view mode (after signing out or incognito mode)

Even though it's a small thing but might make an effect for local guides to decide either to use or not use this new functionality. 

Here I've attached the screenshots for better understanding

No. of views available when I switch on the Public profile view mode.No. of views available when I switch on the Public profile view mode.

No. of views disappears when I navigate to my profile from outside my accountNo. of views disappears when I navigate to my profile from outside my account

Feel free to share your feedbacks about these new features.

Cheers

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: A small glitch in Google Maps Profile

@Haseeb @ThanhLan @MONDRITO @Anonymous @Briggs

This should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hahaha the same thing with me too

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and the team ,

Sure the new updates will come soon @Haseeb

Level 10

Great find @Haseeb! I always thought that it was by design that you weren't able to see the views of photos of other people on the desktop version of Google Maps, but when you clicked the "Public Profile View" button, it actually does show the views.

This would be excellent. Often I have to switch to the Google Maps on Android app to see how many views their photos have to appreciate them, so if it is actually a small error, I would be very glad to have this rectified so everything is present on Google Maps bar any privacy issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Haseeb brother wao great findings, observations and sharings, it seem pro function, hope Google Maps Android/iOS App will also have this option soon

Level 9

Hi @Haseeb

Nice observations . But I feel it's not " glitch", as you mentioned . 

If you go through the link , the desired profile is seen . As a desktop has a quite in built facilities compared to the android s so I feel that has been made deliberately .

Any if this does become user friendly Google, of course ,.will step in to solve it .

Mondrito

Level 10

@Haseeb

The new function of my account works well in both mobile phone and desktop. I did check by using my friend's account to see my profile.

LG Summit Attendee in 2016 ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Regional Lead before 2017
Former Google Contributor
Solution

@Haseeb @ThanhLan @MONDRITO @Anonymous @Briggs

This should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Level 10

@HelloJess,

Thanks for that. I must ask though, I had a look at both modes as @Haseeb had screenshotted. It looks like they're both in parity now, but now neither shows the amount of views of a Local Guide's contribution profile.

It would've been nice to be able to see a public profile's views like it does on Google Maps' mobile app versions (which the opposite occurred of what I posted here) but I guess for privacy reasons, it has to be.