Neminath's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Rickshaw stand category required

Hi Team,

In India and other countries, like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Thailand, Nepal and more,  auto rickshaws are means of public transport and they have designated stands in specific areas from where commuters can pick the rickshaws.

I think we should have a category to identify such stands on google maps.

Auto Rickshaw stand - Image downloaded from public spaceAuto Rickshaw stand - Image downloaded from public space

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw

@Atsukot @KarenVChin @JeslynL @ErmesT @YK1001 @GusMoreira @PaulPavlinovich @HelloJess @TraciC @MariaBi

Pune, Maharashtra, India
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Rickshaw stand category required

Level 8

@ErmesT This is good suggestion but even "Taxi station" is not available, instead Taxi Service is available which is more generic.

Also, In India, we have separate Taxi stand which are different from Auto rickshaw stands. Taxi stands are available only in major cities, but Rickshaw stands are available everywhere, even in small villages. So it would be great if this category gets added along with Taxi Stand. 

123.png

Connect Moderator

@Neminath, you make valid points.  I agree these tutus are not taxis in the Western sense.  I am moving your suggestions over to Feedback and Feature Requests board for the Google engineers to review.

Cheers,

Karen

Former Google Contributor

Thanks @KarenVChin. We've passed the suggestion along. Although for the time being, even if they're not taxis in the Western sense, it's a stand where you can board something that is only for you, not like a train or bus, and that it'll take you elsewhere, so I'd say "taxi" is the closest one 🙂

Local Guides Community Program Manager
Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Former Google Contributor

Hello @Neminath, thank you for reaching out to us, but please do not tag many people in posts. We, Google Moderatos regularly moderate Connect and will see posts that require our attention, especially posts on Feedback & Feature requests. That is why it is important to post in appropriate board (thank you! @KarenVChin).

I agree with LuisRG that “taxi” may be the closest one 🙂

Level 8

Dear @Neminath,

I am personally of the opinion that the advice to "select the closest one", is not good practice, as it is the cause of a lot of bad data on our map. Instead, it all comes down to definitions. Unfortunately, we no longer have clear definitions for Google Maps categories, but if you Google taxi, you will find examples of water taxis, bike taxis, motorcycle taxis, etc.

So I do agree that auto-rickshaw can be seen as a type of taxi. A category for a location where taxis gather and wait to be hired, already exist on Maps: "Taxi Rank".

Happy mapping!

Jeroen

Level 8

In India the word "Taxi" and "Auto" mean two different things for the common man. First, the cost of hiring one. Second, Since auto is smaller in size by having only 3 wheels it can go through roads that a taxi cannot.

The Track used for conducting the test to issue a auto driver's licence to people is the exact same one used in the case of two wheeler's test.

Hope this helps.